Catholic Total Abstinence
The Catholic Total Abstinence fountain was constructed by Herman Kirn in 1876 for the Centennial celebration in Philadelphia. The fountain and five statues are carved from white marble with granite steps. The central fountain is 40 feet in diameter with a marble statue of Moses. The original fountain design consists of water pouring from Moses’ feet and cascading over the rough stone into the pool. The four statues (Father Mathew, Charles Carroll, Archbishop John Carroll, and Commodore John Barry) were drinking fountains during the Centennial celebration. The fountain and step area was originally constructed in an open grass park setting, transformed by the City of Philadelphia into a circular drive lane with a concrete sidewalk during the early 1900’s. In 1910, ½ of the upper torso of the Father Mathew statue was damaged by lightning. The structural repairs to the statue were significant, with steel dowels and mortar re-connecting the upper and lower torso together. Later, the water source for the pool and drinking fountains was disconnected. SDA prepared structural construction documents to refurbish the marble statues and fountain.